domingo, 5 de junio de 2011

My first weekend...

What a crazy first weekend in Cuenca!

On Saturday, I went with my group of students to two small towns near Cuenca. We went shopping (I didn’t buy anything) and saw indigenous people making scarves and blankets the traditional way. They used lemon juice, insect guts and some sort of mineral to make red dye. It was really cool! Also, while a friend and I were sitting on a bench waiting to leave one of the towns, a Latin guy about our age asked if we would take a picture with us. Latin men LOVE blondes J It was really funny. He said we were muy bonita (very beautiful).
Saturday night I went with my family to see the new X Men in the theater. Even though it was in Spanish and there were no subtitles, I thought it was good. I am so glad I speak English. It feels so silly to watch a movie where the actors are speaking English but the voices are in Spanish. When I get home, I have to see X Men in English!

Today (Sunday) I went to church with my family. Once again, I couldn’t understand what was being said, but it still was good. There was a woman at church named Mary. Her family just moved to Cuenca from the United States. It was so good to talk to her in English. When I get home I don’t think I am going to shut up for a long time. I miss talking!

When we got home from church we ate take out Chinese (weird, right?) and I watched a movie.
Later in the afternoon I talked to my real mom and dad. When I talked to my mom, I cried. I am so lonely for a face I know and things that are “normal.” It felt really good to get my feelings out. I am trying so hard to be brave, but it is really hard. It’s good to be honest with those you love.

Then, my mom and I went for a walk. While we were walking, a boy that lives in our development (Rio Sol) came up and asked me if I was an American. I said yes, and he said he was from Naperville, Illinois. Is family travels the world and lives in places for three years at a time. God is so good. He sent a friend when I need it most. After that we went to the park and had ice cream.

The ice cream place was AMAZING! You placed your order, then the server made a waffle on a waffle iron and formed it into a cone. You picked one type of ice cream (I picked cookie monster) and one mixer (I picked heath bar). The server mixed them together and put it on your freshly made cone. It was soooo good! And you couldn’t believe the flavors! Tequila, Red Bull, Almond Joy, red wine, chocolate, white chocolate, fruit, and soooo much more!

Finally we went to my aunt’s house (we go there A LOT). I think I am finally starting to feel a little more comfortable here. God is good. He is watching out for me J

Keep Praying! 27 more days!
Love you!
Meagan

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario